Friday, February 02, 2007

new album

In about 4 weeks I'm going to make my intrepid way across the Atlantic to record my second album with Integrity. I'm so excited about putting these songs down and watching what God will do with them next. Some of them - like 'I Belong' (a co-write with my Mum), have been waiting quietly in the wings for more than two years! It will be wonderful to get them out there.

At the moment, I'm finishing lyrics and making sure I'm as far on as I can be. Lyrics are the hardest part I think! They are also the most important part... a beautiful melody with words that don't really mean anything won't last as long as one where the lyrics give real voice to what's going on under the surface of surrendered hearts. Of course, a good melody will help those lyrics to stick - it's a balancing act - one worth the hard work.

If you're writing at the moment, I'd love to encourage you to dig that little bit deeper for the right words - like an offering of worship in the work of crafting our words. I'd also love to cheer you on as you look for the right melodic hook - taking the ideas you started with, and honing them till they sing sweeter - till they become the songs that others can use as their very own expression of love for Jesus.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathryn,

I have just got to say, "Hungry" is perhaps one of my all time favorite worship CD's. I got it years ago at a collegiate conference I attended (7:22). Years have gone by, and I still tune into "Child of God" and the many other beautiful songs on that album that draw me near to God. Not to mention several other songs from other CD's like "What a Child is Meant to Be"... I love the simplicity and genuiness behind the way you sing. Most songs these days are so "rocked out" and distracting. Thank you for being such a vessel in writing and recording worship music that is heartfelt.

I actually do recording for a living (among other things). I own a studio in Louisville, KY and record songs with other worship leaders locally. Anyway, I really look forward to your new CD!

Let me know if you ever need help with graphic design or website design!! I do that too!! Shameless plug, I know. But I enjoy working with Christian artists and specifically those with a heart for leading authentic worship that points to Christ.

Many blessings!!
Josh

03 February, 2007 02:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear of progress on the new album Kathryn, I miss being a part of the community with you guys on the North Coast (but am loving Glasgow!). Looking forward to the release. Stick it out!

04 February, 2007 21:07  
Blogger Charis said...

OOh...exciting! Can't believe it's already time! You must be thrilled!! Looking forward to hearing your new stuff...i'm sure it's going to be AMAZING! Keep up the good work special lady! Loads of love xxx

05 February, 2007 13:20  
Blogger ian irwin smyth said...

Hey Kathryn

God bless you over and over again as you head across the pond to record. I welcome your comments about lyric craft too.

We'll be praying for you while your over there and i trust God fills your time with calm and a heap load of creativity!

Ian

06 February, 2007 16:17  
Blogger jul said...

I'm so excited to hear you'll be recording again. You're one of my favorite worship singer/songwriters and you're an inspiration to me as a mother who tries to keep up songwriting. God bless!

07 February, 2007 18:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't wait to hear your new album!

08 February, 2007 03:03  
Blogger Claire said...

Will be thinking about you as you record. Look forward to hearing some feedback about your experience. I think you have hit the nail right on the head regarding words - it can be the most frustrating part of writing but we have got to keep searching for the words to express wonderful truth about our God. I think our songs form the basis of our theology more than anything else.

Love you loads
x Claire

08 February, 2007 22:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home