Saturday, September 16, 2006

SONGWRITING: don't quit just yet

I just finished a teaching day on songwriting. I love teaching about writing - it's wonderful to see people really catch that they can do it too!!!

It reminded me again how important it is to keep going with a song (and with writing in general) even when things are not quite working out.

There's a song I've been working on - on and off - for the last five years. I started it when Sophie was just a baby, and only ever got the first verse. At various times I've picked it up again and tried a new idea to see if I can take it forward.

Just yesterday I thought I'd have another go. For the first time in all those years I had a completely different idea and wrote a pre chorus for it and a chorus. Whilst I haven't finished the lyrics yet, it is THE most wonderful feeling to have finally found what I was looking for in this song. I just wanted to encourage you too - don't worry how long it takes - the finished song is still waiting for you to find it... keep going just a little longer - you might be surprised how close it is!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi friend! Sounds like you had a good seminar again. Miss you all! Look forward to hearing your song you´ve worked on for five years!But probably not on your next cd, or...? Waiting for your next cd release!Please let me know when you´ll have your release party so I can book some cheap flight tickets...
love, Carina

16 September, 2006 19:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice encouragement. Thanks, DM

16 September, 2006 21:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home