Monday, July 24, 2006

don't forget to breathe

I was writing to a friend this morning, and telling her about how wonderful sabbatical was... Earlier on this year Alan and I and the kids went to America for three months. We decided that we needed time together as a family without the pressure of running the church (even though we love it); that we needed space to hear God more clearly again, time to think, space to grow. It was one of the most amazing things we've ever done together!

We're home now as long as we were there. The difference is that the last 3 months have rocketed by - real life happens in fast forward! The sweetness of sabbatical was the chance to catch our breath - to savour everything. Whilst I know we can't all just drop everything and head off for that length of time - there's such a need to build in time - it might be a 2 day break here and there, it might be an hour in the morning everyday... it might be something you need to revisit, the same as me.

2 Comments:

Blogger LTA said...

It was really great to spend time with you and your family while you were out here. We loved getting to know you better and letting our kids play together. I'm glad it was a time of rejuvenation for you. I hope that will get to see you again soon.

Larry

26 July, 2006 07:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's something I'm learning too, building recupperation into my life daily... I love how Peterson puts it in the message, 'learn the unforced rhythms of grace' (Matt 11:29)

31 July, 2006 13:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home